Skip to main content

Day 4- Winterhaven

 Back to back 70 mile rides means a break in my posting. I barely had enough energy to write a blog post each night. But I’m back on track! Here goes with day four.

Today started at 5:20 AM with breakfast set up after a night without a ton of sleep. We had 71 miles ahead of us and as we headed out of El Centro it became clear that shade would be a hot commodity.

Now is a good time to talk to all of you that say “yeah, but it’s dry heat.” I’m throwing the BS flag right on to the 50 yard line on that one. When it’s over 100, it’s hot. Hard stop.


As it has in the past the scenery made several changes. We headed out into farmland, seeing many hayfields and large walls of the biggest hay bales  I have ever seen. They must weigh at least 150 pounds each.


We rolled into Holtsville, home of the Carrot Festival, and stopped to stock up on water and ice. From here we had 25 miles, mostly on a slight grade uphill, to make it to the water station. The landscape slid into rocky desert, then green shrub desert. I felt like I was in a cartoon with a background that just looped around and around and around. It is very strange to ride with no landmarks.

I worked at drinking a lot today but I arrived at the water station both famished and thirsty. We stayed about 45 minutes. At this point it was about 103°. This is a whole new ball game.

After our rest, we took off for the Chevron station 12 miles away. At this point it was Sue, Anne, me, and Matt. Ann and Matt went on ahead. Sue and I took a more leisurely pace as the sun continued to beat down unmercifully. Our water quickly got hot, but we drank it anyway. It was the longest 25 miles ever. (I think I may end up saying that a lot!) The road was absolutely horrible; patches of pavement, dirt, debris, and nothing but bumps for about 15 or 20 miles. I’m sure my internal organs were completely rearranged by the time I got to the Chevron station.

I also realized that despite my efforts I was not drinking enough water or eating enough food. I felt weak and nauseous and was beginning to have the signs of heat exhaustion. At the station I went right inside and sat down on the floor along with several other people from our group. We were all learning a very important lesson  about hydration needs in the southwest.

After cooling off and re-hydrating I felt good enough to continue the last 20 miles. Had I known how bad the roads were going to be I might have faked a few more symptoms! We were good for about 5 miles and then we went onto an Indian reservation. I am embarrassed to say that our government is not taking care of the roads and they were beyond decrepit. I hated everything about my life, I was whiny, and if I could’ve had enough energy to cry I would have. We reached the Salamander RV park shortly before dinner time. It was an exhausting day.

And to top it off, as we were getting into our tents and turning out our lights, one of the residents decided it was a great time to let the dog out. Said dog felt the need to protect everyone from us and barked for an hour straight. When the owner finally brought the dog in some cats started fighting followed by a donkey braying. It was a long night.

Comments

  1. What a day! As Lynn Anderson sang, I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden. Every day is a win. We’re all cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rough day both physically and emotionally. You can't even produce tears f you are dehydrated or too tired. That's intense.I can't believe you even have the energy to write, but I am glad you do. Hang in there kitty. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lydia!! Wishing you smoother riding after this!! I am very impressed…-Gari

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a b

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no on

Day 51- Eastpoint FL

 I would never have guessed our coldest night would have been in Florida! I woke up this morning to 38°. In a tent. And pretty comfy inside two sleeping bags. I’ve been hoping for a little adversity. Florida certainly stepped up! It warmed up pretty quickly and I was on the road by nine. It was supposed to be a rest day, but tomorrow is looking wet and thundery so we broke up that 75 miles and will do 45 today, stopping just over the Apalachicola River in Eastpointe. Since it was a short day I took it pretty easy, enjoying a bike path it took us along the beach in WindMark. We wandered along until we hit Port Saint Joe where some stopped for a second breakfast. After Port Saint Joe we had a straight 19 miles which gave me a long time to think and get philosophical. What rolled around in my head is that we spend lots of time anticipating and working towards milestones; births, graduations, new jobs, marriages, retirement. And while those milestones are exciting, what we really cherish i