Skip to main content

Day 35- New Waverly, Texas

 Today’s ride was more of the same — farm fields, horses, cattle, even some cows with floppy ears that made them look like they had been mixed with sheep. My day’s regret was not getting a picture.

It’s too bad the weather was still gray when we left because the lake and the beach in Somerville would be great in the sun, but with 71 miles ahead of us we were up and out early.

Our first stop was Independence, home of the original Baylor University. It started as a girls school, then Baylor Academy (coed- you go, progressive Texas!) and finally the University before it moved to Waco. Locals told us that the current dean has freshman and seniors come to the site each year; freshmen to learn the history, and seniors to say goodbye.


The site also included some early Texas homes from the 1820s. One was called a dog- trot house, called that because it has a breezeway in the middle. The center area was often used as a dog kennel.


They also had examples of other homes from the 1820s which interested me because that’s the same time frame that my house was built in. I took a few pictures of the inside so I could imagine what my house might have looked like in that time period.



From here we went just a short distance to the Independence store for a bit of coffee and a snack. There was a Bike group from Houston there as well who were interested in our trip and in the tandem. Nice folks who wished us well.


After Independence is when the navigation got a bit wonky. I did OK along the winding roads with no paint and lots of fields, but when I hit Route 105 I wasn’t sure which way to go. Again — help arrived in the form of a Welsh  couple doing the southern tier in the opposite direction. They had already passed everyone else and pointed me left.

Eventually I rolled onto a road that indicated I was in the Sam Houston national forest where we are now staying. Much more quiet than last night – except for us! We sat around and laughed and laughed for about an hour after dinner.

Things I learned today:

  • Map skills are important! I need to figure this shit out.
  • There is a Wood Ape Conservancy here. I have many questions…

Comments

  1. Interesting. I never heard of Bigfoot referred to as a wood ape. I am learning so much. I looked up the website. Question: can you get in touch with the bike organizers if you feel like you might be getting lost? Yikes, I don't like feeling or being lost. You are so brave. Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really w...

Day 57- Palatka FL

 We are at the Quality Inn in Palatka on the last night of our tour. Dinner was at the Azalea brewery and awards were given out to all participants — tongue-in-cheek, of course. They were as follows, and as memory serves: Most likely to deliver an impromptu dissertation: Carl Most likely to speak up and be right: Kelly Most likely to build a bike on the side of the road: Adam Most likely to cry at the ceremony: Jack  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in Most likely to use shit in a sentence: Terry Most likely to ask or something is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to ask or some thing is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to burn the house down if coffee is not ready: met Most likely to stop a stranger and ask questions: me It was not the raucous affair I think we all had hoped for, mostly because we are all a bit introspective and conflicted as the tour comes to an e...

Day 2- Ocatilla

 The most amazing thing today was the change in the landscape over the course of 61 miles. We left Alpine early, around 7 o’clock, due to the prediction of extreme heat for the day. We started out with bare rocky hills, transition to bushy rocky hills, and ended with huge piles of sandstone. The Hills were substantial, but not too steep. Some took more out of me than others. One in the middle made me question my fitness, but at the end of the day I am actually  One new thing I did today was to ride on the interstate. Last night at our map meeting we were told that we would be riding along I8. Which is an actual interstate in the state of California. I was amazed as I did not think that this was legal but apparently in California it is. I was nervous but it turned out that it was almost easier to ride on the interstate because of the large shoulder then it was on the side roads. The rest of our ride ran mainly along Historic Route 80. Towards the end of the day we passed into J...