Skip to main content

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home.

We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths 


out to some rural roads. 

Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos!


We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no one got bitten so something with successful!

We rode through the city of Bastrop where the traffic was a bit hairy but we managed. We went through the historic district and soon we were cruising through Bastrop State Park.

 It was so nice to ride with through traffic free roads, and the best was that the park road from Bastrop connected to Buescher state park where we are currently camped. The hills were daunting, 15% grade at some times, but reminded me of home. The best thing about climbs is you often get a view at the top and we certainly did.



We’re now bedded down at the camping area. We’re expecting quite a bit of rain in the next 24 hours. We’ll for sure wake up to wet conditions. Some riders opted to stay in a Screenhouse, but the open air group sleeping really doesn’t appeal to me so I set my tent up where I hope I won’t get swamped. In typical fashion I have over thought and obsessed about the placement of said tent. I know, I know. Trust your tent. Maybe. More tomorrow on how Valid my fears were.

Things I learned today:

  • There’s never a bad time for a burrito

Comments

  1. Steepest climb and crazy dogs...you survived and still found the beauty in the ride! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful descriptions of your adventure! Love you! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting, and I am so impressed! I just had a visitor from Bastrop. I'm going to share the link to your blog with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post, especially the part about trusting your tent!! Maybe I should have followed along in my car and set up the tent in the optimal spot, while you soak in the near by stream. Remember the rain flap, it’s important! You’re doing GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ll be in Louisiana for a few more nights. If you leave now you can have my tent ready for me on Thursday or Friday.

      Delete
  5. I am throughly enjoying this blog and am amazed at you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a b

Day 1- Ocean Beach to Alpine

 Day 1 is in the books! Great day that started at Dog  Beach and a back wheel dip in the Pacific. Tad, Kathy, and Charlotte met me down there. It was great to see them as we headed out. The ride was flat for the first 25 miles or so, but hot! Temps were in the 90s with blazing sun and clear blue skies. We separated out early into smaller groups. I found good peddling with Sue and Ann. We also crossed paths with Adam and Kelly, the tandem riders. Our route took us to through Mission Gorge regional park which was absolutely gorgeous. A nice pass that cut through the mountains and made it possible for us to miss an incredible climb. No worries; there are plenty more ahead of us. At 30 miles we made sure we were fully loaded with water and electrolytes. I’m not sure if I’ve ever consumed this much fluid in a single day. Then the climb began. On the map it looked evil, almost straight up. In reality it was less steep than it was long. It was 6 miles at about three or 4% grade. It did requir