Skip to main content

Day 44-Poplarville MS

 Today was a relatively short day, just 50 miles. The day was gorgeous – 85° and bright sunshine, just the way I like it


We took a little time to dry our tents after last nights 100% humidity. While we waited we chatted with Officer Homer who told us about the first instance of a biker staying. Apparently someone rolled in as a solo writer and came to the police station looking for a safe place to camp. The park in town was not in the best neighborhood and the officer in charge told him he could camp in the backyard of the police station. The police officers enjoyed the experience and it became a regular thing. They host quite a few riders each year. We found it very comfortable. They let us use their rec room and their kitchen and we were even able to watch some Monday night football. It was quite a treat.


Ann and I encountered some unique Haybale art right off the bat. The roads were good and we were cranking right along when Bam — there was a tandem on the side of the road again. This time it was self sabotage. They forgot to tighten their pedals after yesterday‘s repair, and we’re happy to see that it was an easy fix. We are all a little traumatized by their bad luck.






More back roads and farms made for an easy rolling ride all the way to Bogalusa. Bogalusa may be my new favorite town name. Sorry Mamou Louisiana, you’re now in second place. 


We stopped at the brewing beans coffee shop for caffeine and a snack. It’s owned by a young woman named Tomiko from New Orleans. She moved there to find peace after living in the city for so long. The store has a faith based flavor which I found a nice addition without being heavy handed. And the chocolate chip cookie was Heavenly indeed!


We didn’t have far to ride before we crossed the Mississippi state line. We’re in this state for just two days which is too bad because it’s a beautiful place so far. We were on back roads through farmland, passed cows and some cranky dogs, and by early afternoon we arrived here at the house see Ende RV park in Poplarville.



We set up tents and then Jack and I took off to get groceries as it’s our turn to cook. Our desired destination was the Poplarville Grocery and Salvage because we were so curious about the name. It was a bit of a disappointment. It didn’t actually have any salvage, well maybe around back, and precious little groceries. We headed to the Save-aLot from there. Slightly better groceries and no hint of salvage.



We got dinner done shortly before the deluge arrived. When it rains here, it doesn’t do it halfway! My tent remained bone dry. I am able to put full faith in it.



Things I learned today:

  • Little kids can detect accents and will call you out, telling you you talk funny. One kid asked us if we were speaking English in the grocery store.

Comments

  1. 50 miles is a short ride and you make dinner after that...I am so lazy. Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really w...

Day 57- Palatka FL

 We are at the Quality Inn in Palatka on the last night of our tour. Dinner was at the Azalea brewery and awards were given out to all participants — tongue-in-cheek, of course. They were as follows, and as memory serves: Most likely to deliver an impromptu dissertation: Carl Most likely to speak up and be right: Kelly Most likely to build a bike on the side of the road: Adam Most likely to cry at the ceremony: Jack  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in Most likely to use shit in a sentence: Terry Most likely to ask or something is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to ask or some thing is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to burn the house down if coffee is not ready: met Most likely to stop a stranger and ask questions: me It was not the raucous affair I think we all had hoped for, mostly because we are all a bit introspective and conflicted as the tour comes to an e...

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma...