Skip to main content

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift!

We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely. 


We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection.


As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over.

I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a big sign with my name on it. The hug from Greg was the best ever.



We dragged the bikes down to the beach for the “over the head” shot and one last group picture. Then it was time for goodbye to the group. It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be but I will miss them.

Our group which now included Tree went for lunch at the conch house. It was windy and a little cold but we managed and it was a fun visit. It was wonderful to see them all and I’m grateful they made this effort.

Gemma Greg and I headed south to drop Gemma off with Maddie and JoAnn and stayed for a visit. Now we’re back in Melbourne and I am exhausted. Ankur said there would be a crash in here it is. Sleep will be good and there will be plenty of time tomorrow to sort out wet tents, dirty laundry, and sandy bikes.

What a great adventure. I’m so glad I grabbed the opportunity and didn’t let fear talk me out of it.

Things I learned today:
  • Take a breath. The sun will come out.


Comments

  1. I am so proud of you and amazed by you. I have really enjoyed following you on this journey and can't wait to talk to you about it at some time. I also loved your last quote. I am going to write that down in my journal. It will inspire me thought the year! Love ya Lydia. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So damn impressed. You are She woman of the universe and proud to call you sister❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your trek! I always knew you would complete it despite the many doubts and road blocks- starting with having COVID the week prior to leaving. So great to follow along in your bog. Thanks for sharing your adventures! Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Print and bind this. You are amazing and inspiring. Glad you took the leap and went for it. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! Can't wait to see you in person. I have so many questions!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no on

Day 1- Ocean Beach to Alpine

 Day 1 is in the books! Great day that started at Dog  Beach and a back wheel dip in the Pacific. Tad, Kathy, and Charlotte met me down there. It was great to see them as we headed out. The ride was flat for the first 25 miles or so, but hot! Temps were in the 90s with blazing sun and clear blue skies. We separated out early into smaller groups. I found good peddling with Sue and Ann. We also crossed paths with Adam and Kelly, the tandem riders. Our route took us to through Mission Gorge regional park which was absolutely gorgeous. A nice pass that cut through the mountains and made it possible for us to miss an incredible climb. No worries; there are plenty more ahead of us. At 30 miles we made sure we were fully loaded with water and electrolytes. I’m not sure if I’ve ever consumed this much fluid in a single day. Then the climb began. On the map it looked evil, almost straight up. In reality it was less steep than it was long. It was 6 miles at about three or 4% grade. It did requir