Skip to main content

Epilogue



The last week of the tour was anticlimactic. No more mountain passes. No more mountains period.

No deserts, no heat, no more 80 mile days. Just a few more days of flat cruising.

What there were were accolades about what an incredible feat this was, and that was true. It was a big

deal physically. But that wasn't the part that was the most challenging for me.

I knew from mid-September that my body was ready. I knew I could do the miles, so long as speed was

not a factor. (That said, I worried about coming in as the caboose, long after everyone else had arrived.) I

could get up any hill put in front of me even if I had to walk (I didn’t!).  I knew I could ride in hot weather

and in cold, in wind and in fog, on days when I was having fun and on days when things sucked. The

physical aspect was the easy part.

I have struggled for as long as I can remember with self-doubt and a fear of failure. I found the decision

making tortuous. I agonized over the gear choices, worrying about “being right.” This was my second real

group tour, the first being one where I was buoyed by the over-preparedness of the dear friends I went

with. I knew they’d have anything I forgot and would be kind about my shortcomings. This time I’d be on

my own, naked among strangers with any deficiencies glowing. Imposter syndrome was raging mercilessly.

I’ll admit to being relieved when it was time to leave and I just had to live with my choices, mistakes be

damned. As it turns out, I could have trusted myself as a highly functioning human. I had almost everything

I needed and not much excess.

It’s a hard process, that change in thinking. I’ve heard “I’m/We’re so proud of you” throughout the trip and

have shrugged it off, never asking why because I assumed I knew. It’s also awkward to match praise with

“why do you think that?” 

We’re socialized not to brag from an early age. Humility keeps us likable but it downplays reflection on

growth, something that should be celebrated. I turned the “we’re so proud of you” comment around and

started thinking about what I was proud of. At the risk of hubris, here’s the list. 

First and foremost, I faced my fears of being the weak link. I have always been afraid to fail. Turns out there were no weak links. We filled each other's gaps.
I love feeling strong. My body is amazing. 
I can trust myself and be ok if I made a mistake. Wet stuff will dry. 
I am better at concerning myself with things I can control and letting the rest go (sometimes just a little).
Barking dogs are out of my control. People snoring are out of my control. Road conditions are too. 
At my core I am a happy person. I made a point to disengage from negative conversations.  Complaining
takes a lot of unnecessary energy. Finding solutions is much more effective.
I now ask for what I need when I need it, not when it's built to a crisis and I am frantic.
Martyrdom is not necessary and I don't have to solve the problems of the world. It's ok to do what's best
for me.
There is a solution for every problem. I might not like it. Too bad.
When people ask about the trip, it's sometimes so they can tell me about their adventures. It’s sparked
enthusiasm in them. I listen and learn and don’t feel discounted. That’s not their intention.
I am better at questioning what I think I know.
I recognize more often when I am stuck in my thinking and can take a step back. There are other ways to
do things.
I ask all the questions I have. People are happy to talk about what they know.
Be generous when you are able. At the same time, take help when you need it. You are a better balancedperson when you live somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

I've also heard what an inspiration I was in finishing this trip. I hope that's true! I hope I have given people

an interest in taking a step forward towards achieving their goals. We all have a spark in us, something

we'd like to learn, get better at, see, or do. Don’t waste your one precious life worrying about what could

go wrong. Go out and grab your badassery!




Comments

  1. Looking forward to hearing about your post-adventure adjustment Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! “Go out and grab your badassery”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lydia! You blew me away with your reflections. It actually brought a tear to my eye. The actual trip you did has amazed and inspired me, but your reflections have even more so. I really appreciate your willingness to share so honestly...somethings we all should do more of. I loved reading "what you learned," but I loved reading "what you are proud of" even more. Thanks for sharing your journey. Love you Lyda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. You are not Lyda and that was from Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed following your adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a b

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no on

Day 1- Ocean Beach to Alpine

 Day 1 is in the books! Great day that started at Dog  Beach and a back wheel dip in the Pacific. Tad, Kathy, and Charlotte met me down there. It was great to see them as we headed out. The ride was flat for the first 25 miles or so, but hot! Temps were in the 90s with blazing sun and clear blue skies. We separated out early into smaller groups. I found good peddling with Sue and Ann. We also crossed paths with Adam and Kelly, the tandem riders. Our route took us to through Mission Gorge regional park which was absolutely gorgeous. A nice pass that cut through the mountains and made it possible for us to miss an incredible climb. No worries; there are plenty more ahead of us. At 30 miles we made sure we were fully loaded with water and electrolytes. I’m not sure if I’ve ever consumed this much fluid in a single day. Then the climb began. On the map it looked evil, almost straight up. In reality it was less steep than it was long. It was 6 miles at about three or 4% grade. It did requir