Skip to main content

Day 12- Lordsburg, NM

 New state day!



Oh my word, I am tired!. Back to back 75 milers has worn me out. We left out of Safford around 6:45 AM and immediately took a wrong turn that didn’t take us far out of our way, but was a bit discouraging. We needed to be on 70 E., a road we would ride for 75 miles.

Ann rode with me today. I needed a buddy as I was in tears at breakfast worrying about Sandy and Mia. Mia  has been hospitalized with RSV for several days and had had a setback. I couldn’t stop thinking about her.

Ann and I stopped at a driveway about 5 miles into the ride to take off layer. A man named Mons came out to chat with us. He’d been a Warm Showers host for years and had hosted over 100 riders. He put them up in his parents house behind his and always cooked them a warm meal. He was a lovely start to our day.

We rode a while until we came to a historic marker. These are interesting because they are so one-sided. Seems those pesky Indians didn’t take kindly to people infiltrating their land. How weird. I found the bullet holes interesting.



At one marker two cyclists, Barry and Steve, stopped by to chat. They are traveling the opposite direction from us but showed up in our campground tonight as they are supported by their wives driving campers. I like their Glamping style.


We stopped for lunch in a small town called Duncan. I couldn’t stomach the possibility of another PB&J and stopped into Hilda‘s Kitchen and Meat Market. The market part was not well stocked and I wondered if it was a bit of a food desert but the kitchen side did not disappoint. A chicken sandwich never tasted so good.



From there it was less than 10 miles to the New Mexico border where we stopped for pictures. New Mexico greeted us with straight roads and 12 to 15 mph head wins for 30 miles. The KOA sign was a welcome site!

What I learned today:

  • You only have to worry about today’s ride. I seem to learn this one over and over again
  • There really are cowboys. I saw one with his lasso and horse getting ready to ride into a range.
  • I can ride pretty far standing up when my fanny  hurts.

Comments

  1. Sending prayers for Sandy and Mia. Keep us posted. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, I’m loving your posts. You have achieved “rock star” status. Please let me know if I can help Sandy in any way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really w...

Day 57- Palatka FL

 We are at the Quality Inn in Palatka on the last night of our tour. Dinner was at the Azalea brewery and awards were given out to all participants — tongue-in-cheek, of course. They were as follows, and as memory serves: Most likely to deliver an impromptu dissertation: Carl Most likely to speak up and be right: Kelly Most likely to build a bike on the side of the road: Adam Most likely to cry at the ceremony: Jack  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in Most likely to use shit in a sentence: Terry Most likely to ask or something is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to ask or some thing is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to burn the house down if coffee is not ready: met Most likely to stop a stranger and ask questions: me It was not the raucous affair I think we all had hoped for, mostly because we are all a bit introspective and conflicted as the tour comes to an e...

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma...