Skip to main content

Day 13- Arenas NM

 The overnight rain stayed out of my tent and we woke to partly cloudy but dry skies . Our route took us out route 90 E. into the Gila National Forest. Skies ahead ahead of us looked forebodin, but what choice did we have?



We had 2000 feet of climbing over about 20 miles, not usually a problem but New Mexico threw in a stiff headwind. Our “gift” was reaching the continental divide at 6355 feet. I’ve seen photos from the divide and other places. This one was a bit underwhelming but I got the photo anyway.



Beyond that we rode past the Tyrone mine. They extract gold silver and copper. From the front it looks like it’s just the face of a mountain, but once we turned a bit it became apparent that a whole mountain got used up. I was left wondering what happens to the land now.

We had lovely rollers the rest of the way. You could see rain in the distance but it looked like it was moving away from us. No such luck. About a mile out of silver city I heard a crack of thunder and started looking for shelter. The rain started an earnest as I was whizzing down a hill with the town in sight.



It was just as a cross the bridge when God tossed a lightning bolt near me. The flash bang time was nonexistent. I didn’t need a second warning. I was able to cut across four lanes of traffic to a strip mall that seemed vacant but had an overhang for shelter. Kelly and Adam showed up a minute later. We found an open office. The border area mental health people are very pleasant and they let us ride out the storm inside. Unlike at home, it dumped and let up and repeated endlessly.

We thought it was safe to make a run for it at one point, but no. The water was barreling in the gutters and cars were spraying us. We made it barely a mile to a McDonald’s. The weather app said there was no respite inside so we get it out the last 4.5 miles, hitting every red light possible. We had a cabin at the KOA and we’re grateful for a dry night.


Things I learned today:

  • It is prudent to look for snakes before stepping behind bushes to pee.
  • New Mexico hates us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really w...

Day 57- Palatka FL

 We are at the Quality Inn in Palatka on the last night of our tour. Dinner was at the Azalea brewery and awards were given out to all participants — tongue-in-cheek, of course. They were as follows, and as memory serves: Most likely to deliver an impromptu dissertation: Carl Most likely to speak up and be right: Kelly Most likely to build a bike on the side of the road: Adam Most likely to cry at the ceremony: Jack  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in Most likely to use shit in a sentence: Terry Most likely to ask or something is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to ask or some thing is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to burn the house down if coffee is not ready: met Most likely to stop a stranger and ask questions: me It was not the raucous affair I think we all had hoped for, mostly because we are all a bit introspective and conflicted as the tour comes to an e...

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma...