Skip to main content

A PSA About Chipseal

 I’ll start this entry off as I often do by complaining about chip seal. According to Wikipedia, chip seal “is a pavement surface treatment that combines one or more layers of asphalt (I’m going with one and one only) with one or more layers of fine aggregate“ which means you basically have the smoothness of gravel dumped in asphalt. Actually, a gravel road would be more comfortable.It seems to be the official pavement of the Southwest— and possibly, if there is no God, the Southeast as well.


Riding on chip seal for any distance beyond across the street turns your bike seat into a Cuisinart. It rattles your fillings and makes you wonder if your bike fork will split in half. After several hours on it you begin to HOPE your fork will split in half. Lord, save me from more chipseal!




Comments

  1. You need to look for a gig doing standup when you get back! Sue G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I am sure you already know all of this, but thought I'd just some some helpful hints I saw about riding on chip seal (I guess it's the mother in me to try to help): Some cyclists swear that you get a better ride on rough stuff by lowering the recommended tire pressure a few pounds in the front, and a little more in the back; you’ll need to experiment with it. Don’t lower it enough to get a pinch flat.High cadences tend to bounce you around on the bike. Try to maintain a higher speed – depending on how rough the road is, to help you glide over rough patches. Keep your cadence lower and pedal in a higher gear when possible.
    I think you probably just need to head up a group called BACS: Bikers Against Chip Seal.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really w...

Day 57- Palatka FL

 We are at the Quality Inn in Palatka on the last night of our tour. Dinner was at the Azalea brewery and awards were given out to all participants — tongue-in-cheek, of course. They were as follows, and as memory serves: Most likely to deliver an impromptu dissertation: Carl Most likely to speak up and be right: Kelly Most likely to build a bike on the side of the road: Adam Most likely to cry at the ceremony: Jack  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in Most likely to use shit in a sentence: Terry Most likely to ask or something is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to ask or some thing is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to burn the house down if coffee is not ready: met Most likely to stop a stranger and ask questions: me It was not the raucous affair I think we all had hoped for, mostly because we are all a bit introspective and conflicted as the tour comes to an e...

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma...