Skip to main content

Day 37- Silsbee Texas

 It’s Halloween and I’m sorry I could not pull together any sort of costume. I did take a stab at it in Austin, but Target let me down. Ann, however, managed to get her friends to take her somewhere where she got pieces to make a very patriotic character. It was fun to ride with her as the drivers honked their approval.


As we prepare to leave Texas tomorrow we are beginning to see more water. This morning we crossed the Trinity river right off the bat.


 We made a stop after lunch at the Honey Island General Store and met Chuck, the owner. I asked him how the town got its name, and he said “here’s the story I believe…”


The people of the town did not own slaves during the Civil War, and as such, did not want to fight for slaveowners rights. The powers that be didn’t approve and decided to set fire to the area they thought the resistors were hiding in. This area was known as the big thicket, a Jungle-y type area with such thick underbrush that it still has not been developed. The resistors managed to avoid the fire and eventually set up a system whereby they were left flour, salt, and Other provisions at what came to be known as the honey island — a large tree with a honeybee hive in it and a hole at the base to hide the contraband.

I also asked him why every house has a fence and a gate. He said it was mainly for keeping cattle and horses in — and for lots without cattle and horses, it’s about showing “this is mine.” We both agreed having to deal with an electronic gate over and over during the day would Be a colossal pain in the butt.

We bid him adieu after ice cream treats and continued on to Silsbee. Some of the roads were very busy with logging and pulp trucks as there is a mill in Silsbee We had to ride in the travel lane because the shoulder was only 2 feet wide and had a rumble strip down the middle of it. I know trucks can’t slow quickly and they may not know about the rumble strip, but going close past us and honking the horn as they do it does not change the fact that there is nowhere left to ride Luckily most trucks gave us plenty of room and we made it safely.

Our GPS app routed us on a 1 mile detour that brought us past a house decked out for Halloween with skeletons hanging from trees, lounging in a bubble bath and committing atrocities against each other. We could not pass up the opportunity to take pictures.





We rolled into the Red Cloud RV Park and set up camp. It’s on the edge of the interstate AND there is a train nearby. Where is the barking dog?

We met another southern tier rider, Lisa, from State College PA. She’s riding to Saint Augustine as well but more quickly than us. It was fun to compare notes of the places we’ve been. 


Things I learned today:

  • You can fix a watch band with duck tape if you don’t care how it looks


  • There is never a bad time to eat a Chipwich.

Comments

  1. Tell Ann I love her costume and would honk at her too! Also my Dad would approve of your watch repair. He was a big fan of fuck tape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those pictures of you...but you were a bit upstaged by the skeletons. I got great ideas for next year's Halloween.Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really w...

Day 57- Palatka FL

 We are at the Quality Inn in Palatka on the last night of our tour. Dinner was at the Azalea brewery and awards were given out to all participants — tongue-in-cheek, of course. They were as follows, and as memory serves: Most likely to deliver an impromptu dissertation: Carl Most likely to speak up and be right: Kelly Most likely to build a bike on the side of the road: Adam Most likely to cry at the ceremony: Jack  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in  Most likely to bribe her way to being the favorite: in Most likely to use shit in a sentence: Terry Most likely to ask or something is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to ask or some thing is when it’s right in front of them: Sue Most likely to burn the house down if coffee is not ready: met Most likely to stop a stranger and ask questions: me It was not the raucous affair I think we all had hoped for, mostly because we are all a bit introspective and conflicted as the tour comes to an e...

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma...