Skip to main content

Day 51- Eastpoint FL

 I would never have guessed our coldest night would have been in Florida! I woke up this morning to 38°. In a tent. And pretty comfy inside two sleeping bags. I’ve been hoping for a little adversity. Florida certainly stepped up!


It warmed up pretty quickly and I was on the road by nine. It was supposed to be a rest day, but tomorrow is looking wet and thundery so we broke up that 75 miles and will do 45 today, stopping just over the Apalachicola River in Eastpointe.



Since it was a short day I took it pretty easy, enjoying a bike path it took us along the beach in WindMark. We wandered along until we hit Port Saint Joe where some stopped for a second breakfast.

After Port Saint Joe we had a straight 19 miles which gave me a long time to think and get philosophical. What rolled around in my head is that we spend lots of time anticipating and working towards milestones; births, graduations, new jobs, marriages, retirement. And while those milestones are exciting, what we really cherish is the times in between them. We relish the people we get to spend time with. We don’t always remember every detail of who said what or even who did what. We remember that we laughed til our sides hurt. We remember that someone was there when we needed them. We remember warmth and compassion and comfort and camaraderie. It reminded me to spend more time in the moment.

Philosophizing  makes the time fly by and before I knew it I was rolling into town. Apalachicola is an old town that continues to survive on the seafood industry. It’s bills itself as the Oyster Capital of the World. I stopped on the outskirts to get a hotdog at Dave’s Dawgs food cart and chat with Dave. He’s been a long haul trucker for 42 years, got laid off during Covid, and decided to do a roadside hotdog stand. He’s been in business three years. And he makes a darn good hot dog.

I rode on into Apalachicola proper and had a beverage at the Oyster Brewing Company. It was here I learned about worm grunting. The bartenders told us about it when we told them we would soon be going to Sopchoppy (my new favorite town name) which just happens to be the site of the Worm Grunting World Championships in April.

Worm grunting works more or less like this: you put a hickory stick in the ground and run a special rasp across it. It makes it sound like someone grunting and it is supposed to attract worms and bring them to the surface. I kid you not. I will have to make a trip in April to see this in person.




I took a quick ride around Apalachicola which reminds me a bit of Belfast Maine and headed up and over the bridge the 4 mile bridge to cross the river into Eastpointe. 


Our motel is right on the river and has peacocks! And pelicans that are very used to people. And gorgeous sunsets.




Things I learned today:
  • You won’t regret spending more time in the here and now
  • Don’t stress if you have to serve Ramen. Everyone likes Ramen.

Comments

  1. Your philosophizing makes me think of the quote- "People won't remember what you say but they will remember how you make them feel" (or something like that). Great photos as usual. Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing your map at the beginning of your trip but can't find it in this blog. What page is it on, or did I see it in.a separate FB post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click this link- then look for the word “overview” over the San Diego entry. It will give you an overview map. https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/southern-tier/

      Delete
  3. Your thoughts today really touched my heart. So poignant. We do often forget to cherish those times in between the big milestones of life. Such a great reminder. We may have to try worm grunting at our next Girls' Weekend. Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a b

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no on

Day 1- Ocean Beach to Alpine

 Day 1 is in the books! Great day that started at Dog  Beach and a back wheel dip in the Pacific. Tad, Kathy, and Charlotte met me down there. It was great to see them as we headed out. The ride was flat for the first 25 miles or so, but hot! Temps were in the 90s with blazing sun and clear blue skies. We separated out early into smaller groups. I found good peddling with Sue and Ann. We also crossed paths with Adam and Kelly, the tandem riders. Our route took us to through Mission Gorge regional park which was absolutely gorgeous. A nice pass that cut through the mountains and made it possible for us to miss an incredible climb. No worries; there are plenty more ahead of us. At 30 miles we made sure we were fully loaded with water and electrolytes. I’m not sure if I’ve ever consumed this much fluid in a single day. Then the climb began. On the map it looked evil, almost straight up. In reality it was less steep than it was long. It was 6 miles at about three or 4% grade. It did requir