Skip to main content

Final Preparations

 The flight was relatively easy. I wander the airport during the wait, as is my usual MO. And saw things that made my mind go “hmmm” including  a woman wearing a “sluts-r-us” T-shirt. Not what I would’ve gone with but Namaste. On board the plane the flight is packed but I am comfy till I find out that my seat won’t stay reclined. Other than that there were no major issues except for the group of young women excitedly celebrating one of their birthdays - maybe the 30th? They simmered down eventually, all but one, who talked at loud volume until my ears began to bleed. Headphones and a movie helped and I finally fell asleep. 

Upon arrival my bags came off the plane together none the worse for wear and Tad was there quickly to pick me up. It was good to catch up with him, but that prove to be a problem because we talked so much we missed his exit and added another 15 minutes to the trip. The bed was a welcome site when we finally got home at about 1 AM my time.

Friday: Up at five but feeling pretty well rested. Tad‘s dog is not a big fan of me.  Ted and I take him for a walk and he seems to tolerate me as long as I’m outside of the house. I don’t have no idea what sort of heinous crime I have committed in his mind.


Later that morning long time friend John Boily came to pick me up and we went to the Park Hyatt Avian for coffee and snacks and some catching up time. As usual it was a wonderful visit and we melted right back into easy conversation. From there he took me to the Solana Beach train station to start my voyage to pick up the bike but not before a stop at Swami‘s Self Realization Center in Encinitas. It’s been there since the 1920s. We pulled into the parking lot and basked in the sun while watching the surfers.

 Self navigation puts me on edge as I am wel know for my lack of sense of direction. Against all odds  I easily find the store (ok, it was a straight line from the train station) and my bike. I could  hear the Google turn by turn directions easily over the traffic as I began my ride back to Carlsbad. I didn’t get too far before things got confusing and I had to let common sense take over with good results I’m glad to report.

It wasn’t until I got to the UCSD campus that the wheels started to fall off the bus. Siri was shouting a regular chorus of “turn right to the bike path, then turn left to the bike path”, followed by “proceed to the route” which is techno speak for “bitch, please.” At the same time every student enrolled was out walking on said bike paths. I managed not to hit anyone, but just. I have no confidence that I was where I belonged  so I kept peddling till the crowds thinned. At that point  I was rewarded with new directions from Siri that included an actual street name.  I 

Along the rest of the way I came to the realization of several things:

Heat will be a factor on this ride. They weren’t joking when they said to grab water wherever you could.

I am not on the road bike and I have to adjust my speed expectations, which is worrying because I’m already slow. Also, peddling and sneakers is harder than being clipped in.

I need to eat early and often. Lunch at 10:30 doesn’t cut it, especially when there’s no protein.

All that said, it took me a little over 2 1/2 hours to go 30 miles which is about normal.

I got back and set the bike up with the bags I brought with Tad‘s help. He MacGyver’d the mirror and I think it will hold. We are also hopeful about the computer as the zip tie got cut a little short when I removed it. 


After all this we zipped over to Carlsbad high school for a football game. Charlotte is on the SportsMED team. The school is huge in the stadium impressive, as well as was all the Friday night lights hoopla. We left after an impressive halftime show with the Lancer dancers cheerleaders and the marching band .

.

One more day. Deep breath.

Comments

  1. Can’t wait to see the picture of you dipping your back tire into the Pacific Ocean!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a b

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no on

Day 51- Eastpoint FL

 I would never have guessed our coldest night would have been in Florida! I woke up this morning to 38°. In a tent. And pretty comfy inside two sleeping bags. I’ve been hoping for a little adversity. Florida certainly stepped up! It warmed up pretty quickly and I was on the road by nine. It was supposed to be a rest day, but tomorrow is looking wet and thundery so we broke up that 75 miles and will do 45 today, stopping just over the Apalachicola River in Eastpointe. Since it was a short day I took it pretty easy, enjoying a bike path it took us along the beach in WindMark. We wandered along until we hit Port Saint Joe where some stopped for a second breakfast. After Port Saint Joe we had a straight 19 miles which gave me a long time to think and get philosophical. What rolled around in my head is that we spend lots of time anticipating and working towards milestones; births, graduations, new jobs, marriages, retirement. And while those milestones are exciting, what we really cherish i