Skip to main content

Day 16- Emory Pass and Caballo State Park

 New Mexico finally showed us a little love. The forecast for today’s ride up to Emory Pass was ugly, with showers throughout the day. We walk to cloudy skies and what tense because it did as expected rain overnight.

I got on the road at about 830. The peak at Emory Pass was at mile 19 and the climb began early but provided increasingly spectacular scenery.


For a while the vistas opened up; then just as quickly, the landscape became more jagged until we were riding through canyons of rock. 


At one turn mother nature made sure we were paying attention with a rock slide in the road.



I shed layers like a stripper on the way up but put them all back on once I reached the pass. At 8228 feet it was cold, and the air was full of moisture. 


We took a quick trip to see the Vista at the top and it felt as if the whole world was spread it out in front of us.




Then the downhill. I had on the following:

  • A T-shirt
  • A long sleeve shirt
  • A fleece
  • A windbreaker
  • A winter puffy coat
  • A raincoat
And I was just warm enough. I don’t like long down hills much and have found I don’t have the required hand strength. I also realized that my fingers are not really long enough to reach the brakes the way I needed them to. As a result, I stopped fairly often on the downhill.
The skies opened up at the bottom of course they did and luckily Carl had secured a spot on the porch of a vacant house — at least we hope it was vacant. It poured for a while and finally light up a little. I put the baggy rain pants to work and while not fashionable they got the job done. Sorry no pictures this time.




Once we got to the bottom things leveled out and again we had vistas worth stopping for. This truly is an amazing country. The last 30 miles or so were all downhill which made a great sunny finish to a 58 mile day.

This was my favorite day so far.

Things I learned today:
  • It is better to be overprepared
  • There are no words for how beautiful somethings are
  • You sometimes have to look for horse poop before you sit out your tent.

Comments

  1. Incredible Lydia! Amazing photos and story about your ride! Stay safe!!- Gari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you write about rock slides and rain yet it was your favorite day so far. You are truly finding beauty in so many things, and you also have some very helpful hints...like looking for horse poop before setting up your tent! Thanks for the good info. Great pics too. Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 58- St.Augustine FL

 To our utter surprise we woke up to dry skies with the sun peeking through the clouds. No rain in the forecast — what a gift! We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and set off around 9 o’clock. Family and friends had been given an arrival time between 1130 and 12 so the pace was leisurely.  We rode mainly bike paths. No spectacular scenery, just quiet miles with lots of introspection. As we neared Saint Augustine I started to feel the excitement grow. I was ready for the ride to be done, to see Greg and Gemma and the rest that would be there to join me. It wasn’t quite time to stop paying attention, however, because our route took us right through downtown Saint Augustine’s narrow streets and traffic was both heavy and unforgiving. It wasn’t till I turned into the state park that I got a little emotional. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the realization that this adventure is truly over. I rode in and spotted Greg’s truck right away - and next saw Sarah and Walt and Gemma with a b

Day 33 Smithville Texas 53 miles

 If you had asked me at the beginning of the trip which state would have had the steepest climbs, I would not have guessed Texas; however, that seems to be the case. Today I felt right at home. We had our map meeting this morning at breakfast and all seemed doable. I did one last check with the front desk to see if my absentee ballot had caught up with me. It had not. Greg, your vote will not be canceled by me this year! We headed out through sidestreets to leave Austin, a city I can highly recommend. We traveled bike lanes and bike paths  out to some rural roads.  Of course we had to stop for second breakfast burritos! We were riding in a group of about six when we came up on a stretch of road that had house after house with loose dogs. All of them ran at us. We must’ve made a crazy sounding group. Some of us hollered. Some blasted air horns. Several of us have “dog dazers“ which is a little clicker device that is supposed to repel dogs. I’m not sure how well it really works but no on

Day 3- El Centro

 First, before anything else, I have to recognize the kindest of the people in this group. We all have different backgrounds, abilities, and viewpoints, but we are becoming a cohesive group. Sue gave me a charging for it today. Matt, Adam, and Carl helped me get my mirror mounted ( it’s now sporting red duct tape).   We are a group who has each other’s backs. Which is a good thing, because the next few days will be hard. Extreme heat, high mileage, and a few services ahead of us. Today was a day to hang onto. We woke early and work together to get the van packed and loaded to facilitate an early departure. This meant Tammi could give us a water stop halfway through. I started off with Anne but had to make a few stops for adjustments and pictures a Ankur pulled up behind me and we enjoyed a long segment together. We saw a boat in a desert field, and wondered both why it was there and how it got there, and we both investigated the flags along the route the side of the road with barrels u